Sunday, September 12, 2010

Spicy Rotini and Shrimp

I was having dinner by myself one night so I decided to try something I would like probably a little more than my husband would.  I love spicy food, but he doesn't like it as nearly as much as I do so I usually avoid it.  This dish was yummy with a LOT of heat.  I added nearly a tablespoon of red pepper flakes and it was almost a little too much for me.  For a touch of hotness, just stick with adding only a teaspoon!

Source:  Kelly's Kreative Kitchen, adapted from Homemade by Holman

Ingredients:

1/4 lb uncooked shrimp, deveined
1/2 box rotini pasta (or similar)
1 cup diced tomatoes w/ liquid
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup dry red wine (I used a zinfandel)
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp basil
1 tsp red pepper flakes (can add more depending on taste)
salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:

Heat a pot of water to boiling for pasta. When it comes to a boil, add salt and pasta. Cook until al dente and drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter and add olive oil over medium high heat. Add shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and cook until they turn pink. Don't overcook them, once they are opaque, they are done. Set them aside on a cutting board and cut into thirds.

In the same large skillet saute garlic and onions for 2 minutes on medium-high heat. Add the wine and saute another 3 minutes, or until no longer liquidy. Then add diced tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cream, simmer another 5 minutes. Add herbs, cooked shrimp, pasta, and salt & pepper, to taste. Toss and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment