Sunday, February 6, 2011

Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes


I love to try different types of mashed potatoes, although I only make them as a treat because ever since I got off my diet, I try to limit the starches.   But it's a Saturday night dinner so it was a special occasion!  These potatoes were great, but I'm a sucker for anything that has a lot of butter, sour cream, and cream cheese.  If you decide to try this recipe, just a heads up that it serves 10-15 people.  My husband and I are going to be eating mashed potatoes for days!  However, I'm not complaining.

Source:  Taste of Home, February 2011

Ingredients:

3 lbs. potatoes (about 9 medium), peeled and cubed
1 pkg, (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup 2% milk
1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
6 bacon strips, chopped
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
3 green onions, chopped (I omitted)

Directions:

Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.  Drain; mash potatoes with cream cheese, sour cream, and butter.  Stir in milk and seasonings.

In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain.

Transfer potato mixture to a greased 13 x 9 in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese, onions, and bacon.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 40-50 minutes or until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment