Friday, April 23, 2010

Italian Stuffed Peppers

I have had a few days off of work this week and I had some extra time to do cooking.  I hadn't posted much this month due to house hunting and some family obligations, but hopefully I am getting back on track.  I had a bit of a headache today so I wanted to make something simple, yet different to prepare.  So of course I brought out the Crock Pot.  I only made 6 peppers, but three were more than enough for us!  It was so filling and delicious.

Source:  Taste of Home:  Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2009

Ingredients:

6 large sweet red or green peppers
1 lb. lean ground beef
2 c. cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese (1/4 in. cubes)
1 c. uncooked converted rice
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. minced fresh parsley
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 c. beef broth
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds; set aside.  In a large bowl, combine the beef, mozzarella cheese, rice, onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper; spoon into peppers.  Transfer to an oval 5 or 6 qt. slow cooker.  Pour broth over peppers; top with tomatoes.

Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a meat thermometer reaches 160 degrees and peppers are tender.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment