Sunday, May 8, 2011

Beef Stew with Potato Dumplings


I have to admit, I didn't try this recipe, but my husband loved it!  I was on a diet and not supposed to eat the potato so I stayed strong even though this smelled amazing as it cooked.  Considering I had never tried making potato dumplings before, I thought they turned out really well!  I actually shredded the potatoes myself with my food processor, but if you don't have that capability, shredded hashbrown mix will do just fine.  

Source:  The Taste of Home Cookbook 2007

Ingredients: 

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 lbs beef stew meat
2 medium onions, chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cans (10 1/2 oz each) beef broth, undiluted
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
6 medium carrots, cut into 2 in. chunks
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp garlic powder

DUMPLINGS:
1 egg
3/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1 tbsp minced onion
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 1/2 cups fine shredded raw potatoes

Additional all-purpose flour

Directions:

In a plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, and pepper.  Add meat; toss to coat.  In a Dutch oven, cook meat along with onions in oil until the meat is browned on all sides and onions are tender.

Stir in the broth, water, vinegar, carrots and seasonings; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.  Discard bay leaves.

In a large bowl, beat egg; add the crumbs, flour, parsley, onion, and seasonings.  Stir in potatoes; mix well.  With floured hands, shape into 1-1/2 in. balls.  Dust with flour.

Bring stew to a boil; drop dumplings onto stew.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes (do not lift cover while simmering).  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment