Sunday, March 14, 2010

Corned Beef


Happy Saint Patrick's Day!  Well, almost.  I won't be able to celebrate too much on the actual day itself because my husband and I are leaving on our anniversary trip the next day!  We'll be celebrating our first year of marriage!  For today, I decided to cook the popular corned beef.  Corned beef reminds me of when I was a kid and my mom loved to make corned beef for us at least a few times each year.  My husband loves corned beef, but had only had it as a deli meat in sandwiches.  I knew I had to make this for us and it had to be in the crock pot.  The beef turned out absolutely perfect and the vegetables with it cooked so well and absorbed the wonderful salty flavor of the beef.  Now for the rest of the week I have plenty leftover for sandwiches and maybe even some hash for breakfast

Source:  Kitchen Beginnings, adapted from The Food Network

Ingredients:

4lbs Lean Raw Corned Beef Brisket
3 tbls (or less) Pickling Spice  (I used the spice that came with the brisket)
1lb Large Carrots, cut into 4 inch pieces
1white onion, quartered
1lb Red Potatoes, quartered
1/3 C Horseradish
1/3 C Sour Cream

Directions:

Put corned beef in a large slow cooker and sprinkle with pickeling spice.  Layer carrots, potatoes and onion, in this order for even cooking.  Add enough hot water to cover the meat by at least 1 inch

Cook on high for 7-8 hrs

For the sauce:

Boil 1 cup of the cooking liquid until it’s reduced by half
Mix with horseradish and sour cream

No comments:

Post a Comment