Monday, March 22, 2010

Shrimp Fra Diavalo


I took a break for a week since I went on a wonderful trip to Missouri, but now I am back in full swing!  I felt like treating myself to shrimp this week and I was glad that I did.  This dish has the perfect amount of heat in it.  I would have added a little more red pepper and a little less white wine.  It seemed to slightly overpower the taste of the shrimp.  Overall, a yummy and simple dish!

Source:  Apple A Day, adapted from Giada de Laurentiis

Ingredients:

1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
3 TBSP olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 c. dry white wine (I used 3/4 c.)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp. dried oregano

Directions:

In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with 1 tsp. of salt and red pepper flakes.

In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the shrimp and saute until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a large plate and set aside.

Add the onion to the same skillet and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add the tomatoes with their juices, wine, garlic, and oregano, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.

Return the shrimp and accumulated juices to the tomato mixture and toss to coat.

Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over linguini.

No comments:

Post a Comment